Change the Look:
A simple face lift can be completed on a relatively small budget.
- A bathroom's feel can be completely transformed by upgrading the lighting, changing the vanity, sinks, and counter top, and applying a rich wall color, which creates a warmer atmosphere.
- Simple design elements, like a glass mosaic back splash with matching mosaic details in the shower, can bring a classy, contemporary look to an outdated space.
- Compliment your project with new towel bars to match new fashionable sink and shower fixtures and you will create a space that truly enhances the time you spend there.
Change the Use:
A home's bathrooms can be customized to meet a family's distinctive needs.
- Simply replacing glass doors with a shower curtain can make bath time with younger kids a more enjoyable experience.
- Many home owners don't use the bathtub and are converting the same space into a larger walk in shower with built in shampoo shelves, a built in bench seat, and dual shower heads.
- A walk in shower is easier and safer to enter and exit because it does not require stepping over the edge of a bathtub.
- Another excellent improvement for a bathroom is the creation of a separate room (water closet) for the toilet with its own special lighting, exhaust fan, and place for reading materials.
The Mountain Modern Bathroom: Products that promote green, healthy and high-tech living
Thanks to Joshua Schmidt of Ferguson Bath & Kitchen Gallery for writing this article. You can contact Joshua at 530.587.9203, Joshua.Schmidt@Ferguson.com, or learn more at www.ferguson.com/showrooms
“Mountain modern” style beautifully blends rustic charm with clean, contemporary lines, and the style is more popular than ever in the Truckee and Tahoe region for both new home construction and remodels. These homes are typically designed in harmony with the landscape and mountain views, evoking a sense of appreciation for nature. To complement this design, local homeowners are looking for products that promote a healthy lifestyle, are environmentally conscious and also integrate technology for the “that’s cool” factor. Consider the following products for a mountain modern bathroom that balances high-tech style with energy efficiency and healthy living:
- Steam showers – Steam is used as a treatment for a range of physical ailments, from chest infections to joint pain. Now you can bring the spa experience into the privacy of your own home through a steam shower option. One manufacturer has a 100% digital system including Bluetooth technology and a mobile app that controls water temperature, light and music devices. Tech-lovers will like that!
If remodeling, be advised that there are many factors to consider when converting a traditional shower into a steam shower such as: bathroom size, access to behind-wall panels, shower door height and where the steamhead is mounted. You should work with a licensed professional contractor to make sure your shower is compliant with all local building regulations.
- Water efficient showerheads and faucets – Manufacturers offer attractive water saving showerheads, hand showers and faucets that use significantly less water than industry standards. For example, one type of water saving shower gives you a choice of flow rates – it delivers an invigorating shower using 20% or 40% less water, which can save up to 8,000 gallons of water a year.
- Touchless toilets – One model features a wave-over flushing sensor to help cut down on the transference of germs with no handle to touch. The innovative technology, a flush engine that delivers a fast, powerful, and nearly plug-free 1.28 gallon flush, provides a significant water savings compared to the standard 1.6 gallon flush toilet. That’s a savings of nearly 16,500 gallons of water per year.
Today’s mountain modern homeowner wants more than just a pretty space to shower and get ready. They want a space that complements their lifestyle, and places value on healthy living and preserving the environment, just like they do.